It pays to learn how to make basic adjustments and tweaks to your instrument. Otherwise, you end up spending a ton of money to have someone else do minor work you could have done yourself with a little time and patience. It also pays to have the right tools for the job. For this Dunlop Strings Tip of the Week, we want to let you know about a company called Cruz Tools.
They make great tools for guitar players, bass players, and drummers (they also make a ton of motorcycle tools, which we think is pretty awesome). Here’s a look at some of the Cruz Tools gear we have here at the shop. We use each of them all the time.
1. Jack and Pot Wrench. A great tool for tightening instrument and amp jacks.
2. Standard Driver. This is a great tool to have if you own a vintage instrument that requires you to remove the neck to adjust the truss rod. The tip fits fully into the slot to minimize slippage and improve torque.
3. Guitar/Bass Multi-Tool. This is a Swiss Army Knife for guitar and bass players. It’s got four metric and three fractional hex keys, two Phillips screwdrivers, a 2.5mm slotted screwdriver, and ruler so you can check your action. Really worth keeping in your gig bag at all times.
4. Bass Player Tech Kit and Guitar Player Tech Kit. Practically every tool you need to work on your instrument.
5. Cheater Driver. Like the Standard Driver, this is great for owners of vintage instruments. Its small tip lets you get in and make minor adjustments without having to remove the neck in most cases.
If you want to treat your instruments right, go with Cruz Tools. Their stuff is the real deal, high quality and purpose-built. Note: Always be cautious when working on your instrument—chances are small that you’ll do any damage as long as you are patient and pay attention to your doing. Don’t try to rush anything.
Now, let’s have a little fun. We’ve got one spare Guitar Player Tech Kit and one spare Bass Player Tech Kit. Share a setup horror story with us in the comments below, and we’ll choose two people at random to receive one of these gig bag must-haves.